1. Cellular signaling
2. Development of analgesic drugs
3. Molecular and cellular biology of toxins
4. Molecular basis of neoplasia, hereditary and parasitic diseases
5. Neurodegenerative diseases
7. Neurotransmission: glutamate, acetylcholine and GABA
8. Periodontology and syndromes
9. Pharmacogenomics and pharmacogenetics
Resources for biochemistry, pharmacology, genetic and molecular biology research are available at the University. Research laboratories are located throughout the University campus (School of Medicine, School of Dentistry and Institute of Biological Sciences). In addition, a research laboratory is located outside the Campus, at the Instituto Rene Rachou (Fiocruz). The University is fully connected to the internet. All research laboratories have desktops and notebooks for student’s use.
The group who participates in this Postgraduate Course has up-to-date equipments, solely for their use. Major items include two PET/CTs, a GE Discovery 690® PET/CT scan and GE LabPET 4®, Leica® Confocal Microscope, Apotome Zeiss® system with Axiovert 200, high and ultra-speed centrifuges(Hitachi), termocyclers for Real Time PCR, ABI 3130® sequencer, Shimadzu HPLC® with UV and electrochemical detector, Pharmacia® FPLC, Flow cytometers, electrophysiology setup, Magstim® Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation apparatus, EEG apparatus. There is also an animal care facility that is capable to study Caenorhabditis elegans and zebrafish.